Category Archives: Research

Research I have done, or am doing, posted for the benefit of future generations who might do or be doing the same.

Canon Camera Connect iOS app v3.0 storing same GPS location in every photo.

I am posting this in case someone else with the same issue is searching for a solution.

The Canon Camera Connect app can record GPS locations, then later upload them to a supported Canon camera where they get embedded in the photo files. Unfortunately, the V3 app has a bug. It appears to store only ONE GPS location in every file taken — the location where the phone was when you click “Start recording” in the app. That GPS location and timestamp will be in every photo (I took 508 photos today and all confirm this; and I had a similar issue last month with it doing it every day for six days).

This is with the iOS version and a Canon G5X phone. The v2 had its own problems, but at least worked well when it worked. I have been using it since 2017.

If you find this post and have this issue, leave a comment with your details.

Migrating from Perforce to Git (BitBucket)

I am placing this information here in case it saves someone else two days of web searching. These steps cover how to do it on Windows and thus have several extra steps that are not needed for Linux and macOS users.


  1. Perforce installed (with the p4 command line tools).
  2. Git installed:
  3. Python installed:

It is assumed you have Perforce set up and authenticated so the p4 command line tool works. It is also assumed you have a remote Git repository like BitBucket also authenticated. I won’t cover those details.

Test the “git p4” command, and fix if needed.

From a command prompt, type “git p4” and see if it works. This relies on a python script called “get-p4” that may need to be edited to work with your version of Python. If you see this:

C:\>git p4
fatal: 'p4' appears to be a git command, but we were not
able to execute it. Maybe git-p4 is broken?

…you will need to edit the file and update the first line to change the reference to “python2” to just be “python”. The file is located here:

C:\Program Files\Git\mingw64\libexec\git-core\git-p4

Change the first line:


…to just be:


The original is apparently designed to run only on systems where the python executable is called “python2”.

Step 1 – Clone Perforce in to a local Git repository

Create a directory that will hold your Perforce depot directories, and change in to it:

md FromPerforce
cd FromPerforce

Run the following command (where “xxx” is one of your Perforce depots — such as //depot or //Users or whatever you have). The @all will clone all revisions, and –import-labels is supposed to bring down all tags (this doesn’t seem to work for me):

git p4 clone --import-labels //XXX@all

When finished, you now have a subdirectory that is a local Git repository of all those Perforce files, including version history and commit comments.

Change in to this directory for the next step:

cd XXX

Step 2 – Create a fresh Git repository on BitBucket (or whever)

If you do not already have a Git repository on your remote server (BitBucket in this example), create one. You will need to know the URL of this repository, which is something like:

In BitBucket, you get this from the Clone button (it will populate a box with a git clone command line, and you can copy the URL from there).

Step 3 – Pull down the Git repository and rebase, and push the new stuff

git remote add origin

git pull origin master --rebase

git push -u origin --all

(You can use “git remove remote origin” if you need to try this again, due to a type in the URL or something.)

Once that is done, you should be able to see all those Perforce files and their history in BitBucket.

Uploaded Facebook videos not playing sound (but do in preview).

I thought I’d share the solution to a puzzling issue I encountered recently with videos uploaded to Facebook. A recorded video (screen capture) had audio that played fine in my local .mov file, and played fine in the Facebook video preview, but once published, it was silent. No sound.

I tried multiple uploads and several videos, and they all did the same thing. Yet, earlier videos recorded with the same screen capture software, the same way (or so I thought) played audio just fine.

It turns out, Facebook does not support multiple tracks of audio in video files. It uses the first set of audio. I’m my case, the change was using a USB microphone to record my narration instead of the built in laptop mic. The capture software was placing the app audio (built in sound from the computer) on the first set of stereo tracks, and then my USB microphone on the second set. Facebook does not honor any tracks beyond the first set.

Had what I was recording had any app audio, I might have noticed this … “hey, my voice is gone but the beeps are still there.”

But my demo was silent, and it took some web searching to figure this out.

Initially, I got it working simply by taking my captured .mov file and importing it into Final Cut Pro X and then exporting it from there. FCP mixes the multiple audio tracks down to stereo for me, per the output file format.

But, a much easier solution (since I was not using audio on the first track) was to use a utility that would just delete the first unused audio track.

My screen capture software does have an option on how it prioritizes audio recording, so there may be an easy fix I can make there.

I thought I’d post this here in case someone else stumbles upon it.